Credit where credits due…
Somethings you just can’t do yourself. I’d like to acknowledge the following companies / people who I would recommend as extremely helpful.
Firstly Therese and Christophe Letoquin who also live in Biarritz and have done two similar trips with their family in a camper van. Merci pour tout!
- Steering, my steering was all over the place! I had the column rebuilt by Simon at Steering Services. Probably the single biggest improvement made to the handling of the car. Highly recommended http://www.steeringservices.co.uk
- Steering wheel. Thanks http://www.charlesworth-son.co.uk My steering wheels was cracked and dangerous. Sadly this is something you can’t easily repair yourself but Charlesworth and son have to tooling to reform the wheel.
- Tuning – As I say in the blog Peter Baldwin http://wilshers-garages.com/ made a huge improvement to the running of the engine.
- Nuts and Bolts – This man sells every nut and bolt for series 1 Land Rovers and he is a joy to deal with – Frank Mell’s number is 01302367349
- Distributor doctor – Be careful who you get to rebuild your distributor as I have learnt the hard way that not everyone knows what they are doing. Martin Jay is the Distributor doctor http://www.distributordoctor.com/about.html. He’s got quite a waiting list but he’s worth waiting for!
- The Carburettor exchange – Again, there are lots of people who claim to be carburettor experts but David Osborne http://www.carbex.demon.co.uk/ definitely is and he has a 6 month waiting list to prove it! IF you can persuade him to do it
- Propshaft – I had worn splines so it was cheaper to replace mine but they can repair. Nice people and great service http://www.parkinsons.co.uk/workshops_overview/propshafts__steering_shafts.aspx
- Speedo problems – Dr Michael Flannery is your man. http://www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com/
- Engine – I struggled getting the engine to run properly and it turned out I had a broken piston ring and two cracked valves. Michael Geary http://www.meridianengineservices.co.uk/ rebuild the engine. Thanks Michael
- Fuel tank – Neil Taylor who can be contacted through the Series one Club made me a fantastic stainless steel replacement tank. I was unsure if the original would make the distance.